Treborth Botanic Gardens
Located on the banks of the Menai Strait, the 80-acre site originally formed part of the Treborth Isaf Estate until its purchase by Chester & Holyhead Railway in 1846. Under its ownership, Joseph Paxton was commissioned to develop plans for ‘Britannia Park’, featuring pleasure grounds, villas and a 500-bed hotel. A lack of funds curtailed this development, but ‘Paxton’s Cascade’ and the lime tree walk remain as remnants to this ambition in the current Garden. A botanic garden was established on the site by Bangor University in 1960.
We were appointed by the university to undertake a strategic design review of the site and establish the case for the development of a new, energy-efficient teaching demonstrator and visitor facility. The proposals create a live research environment for academics and students to communicate research and emerging practice to visitors and touring parties.