The Battle of the Alma in 1854 is usually considered to be the first battle of the Crimean War, taking place just south of the River Alma in the Crimea; a returning officer from the war built this house near Cardigan. This Victorian dwelling has stood for the past 150 years resisting the coastal winds that bombard it's front facade.
The new owners required a new pavilion to replace some outbuildings to the rear of the property. Maximising light and views of the coast and adjoining farmland the new pavilion building contrasts in scale to the bulk of the main house but creates new connections to the surrounding gardens. Split over three levels the interior diminishes the scale of the proposed spaces, from the large Victorian rooms at the front to smaller more domestic scale spaces at the rear; from semi-public to private.